If you’re a ConnectNC web hosting customer enrolled in ConnectNC spam and virus filtering and are still getting spam messages, here’s what you can do.
- Google how to “view full headers” for the mail program you use
- Look for the word barracuda in the internet headers of the junk mail received
- If the word barracuda or IP address of 188.8.131.52 is seen then:
- The users that use outlook can go to http://mailfilter.connectnc.com:8000/cgi-mod/index.cgi and download the outlook plugin to report the spam directly to the manufacturer
- For users not on outlook they will need to copy and paste the internet headers into a text file – 1 text file per header please – and send to us. We do not need the headers of all emails just a few examples. If more are needed we will request them.
- If the word barracuda or IP address of 184.108.40.206 is not seen in the internet headers then the end user will need to go to http://www.spamcop.net/ to report the spam.
Spammers will sometimes use old DNS to send spam messages in hopes of bypassing filters and if that is the case we cannot do anything about them. It would be nice if we could force them to update the DNS to see the filter but unfortunately that is just not the case.
Another thing to keep in mind is to not advertise your email address on your web site use Contact forms instead. This will ensure that your email address remains hidden from spammers. Contact us if we can be of any assistance in helping you create forms for your site.